Physical Response to stress
General Adaptation Syndrome (GAS) stages:
- Biological responses associated with fight-or-flight syndrome:- Immediate response (Acute) and Sustained response (Chronic)
- However, it also occurs in response to psychological or emotional stimuli.
- These stressors are often not resolved as rapidly as some physical stressors.
- Modern stress has been described as a psychosocial state that is pervasive, chronic, and relentless.
- This promotes susceptibility to diseases of adaptation.
- Adaptation is determined by the extent to which the thoughts, feelings, and behaviors interfere with an individual’s functioning