10 Reasons to Use an Emergency Room for Sprains and Broken Bones
Our ligaments and bones play a very important role when it comes to support and locomotion. Ligaments play an important role in holding and connecting bone to bone in our joints and joints give us the structure and support that allows us to perform activities such as lifting, holding, in locomotion among many others. They are also quite strong and can be able to withstand pressure which allows us to perform the aforementioned activities. However, no matter how strong they are, if the pressure is too much for them to withstand, then sprains, which is a case of damaged ligaments, and broken bones are the likely outcome. Whenever this happens, depending on the severity, then we have a choice to make on which treatment facility to go to for treatment; whether it will be to an urgent care clinic or an emergency room. There are a number of reasons that are in favor of using an emergency room for sprains and broken bones and this article is going to highlight 10 of them.
- One of the key reasons to use an emergency room for sprains and broken bones is due to the fact that they have all the facilities and equipment when it comes to imaging. This include x-rays, CT scan, ultrasounds and many others which allows physicians and staff to be able to diagnose the extent of your injury so as to know how to proceed when it comes to treatment.
- Another reason to use an emergency room for sprains and broken bones is due to the fact they have the expertise and facilities to perform cast immobilization in all sorts of fractures. Just as is discussed in detail over at frontlineer.com, while casts can’t be placed on all fractures in the other treatment facilities such as urgent care clinics, in emergency rooms, all fractures can be treated and be immobilized by a cast.
- Yet another reason to use an emergency room for sprains and broken bones is due to the fact that in there you will find access to all sorts of specialists when needed including orthopedic specialists. This means all sorts of cases of sprains and broken bones can be treated there, even the most complex ones and the chances of complications are greatly reduced due to the fact that treatment is handled by experts.
- The fact that emergency rooms have the expertise and facilities in place to perform surgery when required is yet another reason to use an emergency room for sprains and broken bones. If you have suffered severe fractures such as compound fractures, then surgery may be required, using metal screws, rods, pins or plates to hold the bones together, which as is discussed in detail over at frontlineer.com, is known as ORIF surgery. Severe sprains also require surgery to fix damaged ligaments, especially in cases of complete ligament tears.
- Emergency rooms also have the specialists and the facilities required to perform other specialist treatment that may be required to treat sprains and broken bones such as bone grafts. This procedure takes bone for different parts of your body, or from a bone donor, to replace parts of the bone that may have shattered. Such procedures can’t be done in the other treatment facilities such as urgent care clinics.
- Most emergency rooms, including the excellent frontlineer.com, also have the expertise and the capabilities to cater for all demographics. This means that they have the facilities to treat cases of sprains and broken bones not only for adults, but also for kids and infants, for which these situations can be extremely painful and dangerous making this yet another reason to use emergency rooms for such conditions.
- Yet another reason to use an emergency room for sprains and broken bones is due to the fact that here you have all the expertise and tools for pain control. This is important as severe cases of sprains and fractures can be extremely painful and thus pain control is very much required. There are also instances of broken bones such as broken ribs that can only heal on themselves and as such only require pain relief for treatment.
- Yet another reason to visit an emergency room is due to the fact that there are facilities in place for infection control, which may occur, especially in cases of open fractures as is covered in detail over at the excellent frontlineer.com. If you have signs of an infection related to a bone fracture and sprain, then going to the emergency room is the best choice you can make.
- Speaking of open fractures, another reason to use an emergency room for sprains and broken bones is because here there are facilities and the expertise when it comes to bleeding control. This will enable the stemming of bleeding to prevent excessive loss of blood which can be life-threatening. There are also facilities for blood infusions when required.
- Emergency rooms are also open 24/7 making this yet another reason to use them for sprains and broken bones. You can head over there at any time and be sure that you will be attended to. If you are in a bad way and have suffered a serious fracture or sprain, you will receive treatment right away as emergency rooms usually prioritize the most serious conditions.
Remember, while it only takes a moment to suffer a broken bone or a sprain, it may take weeks to heal and even longer of you run into complications and that is why it is important you seek the very best care and treatment; which is what you will get when you head over to the excellent frontlineer.com