Blog

July 31, 2019

Accidental Poisoning Symptoms and Conditions We Treat at frontlineer.com

Accidental Poisoning Symptoms and Conditions We Treat at frontlineer.com

Poisoning is described as injury, or even death, due to swallowing, inhaling, touching or injecting of various drugs, chemicals, venoms or gases. Most of the time poisoning is accidental, especially when it comes to children who are more sensitive than most when it comes to the above listed substances and as such it doesn’t take huge amounts to affect them. They also usually don’t know that certain chemicals and substances are toxic and as such are likely to touch or ingest them hence leading to accidental poisoning. Accidental poisoning can be caused by a wide array of substances, others being those we see and interact with on a day to day, while others being substances and instances that are not in our normal activities. Accidental poisoning can be as a result of food poisoning due to eating infected food, drug poisoning due to drug overdoses or taking of tainted drugs, carbon monoxide poisoning and many other scenarios. Another thing to note about accidental poisonings is that while there are substances that are toxic regardless of the amounts and concentrations ingested, others like carbon monoxide, drugs and even alcohol are only toxic when ingested in high concentrations or dosages. Accidental poisonings can happen at any time and are potentially life-threatening that is why we over at frontlineer.com take it very seriously. This article will therefore look to articulate a number of symptoms and conditions we treat as far as accidental overdoses go.

One of the symptoms that we treat as far as accidental poisoning goes is if one is presenting with corrosion in the mouth and on the lips. This is usually a sign that one may have ingested or come into contact with a toxic substance and as such it is usually a sign of accidental poisoning. In such a scenario, one is likely to see develop burns or redness in and around the mouth and on the lips. If you present with these symptoms after having ingested a suspected poisonous substance, then you should give us a visit as soon as possible and have yourself treated for accidental poisoning. Another symptom to look out for as far as accidental poisonings go, one we do treat is if one starts to suffer from drowsiness or even losses consciousness after having interacted with a suspected poisonous substance. This is to be taken very seriously and one should be brought over to us as soon as possible to be attended to. The same should also apply if they are having trouble waking up and can’t be awaked or aroused after having interacted with a suspected poisonous substance. They should also be brought to us as soon as possible for assessment and treatment.

Yet another symptom that we treat when it comes to accidental poisoning is if one develops seizures after having come into contact with a suspected poisonous substance. This should always be taken seriously as seizures usually indicate that one may have developed a problem in the brain. Accidental poisoning followed by seizures should therefore always lead to a visit to us for assessment and treatment as soon as one possibly can. Another symptom that we treat as far as accidental poisoning is concerned is if one starts to develop difficulty breathing having interacted or ingested a suspected poisonous substance. As a rule of thumb, problems with breathing should always be taken very seriously. Some of the red flags to look out for here include wheezing, shortness of breath, chest pain among others and if you are resenting with any of these symptoms due to accidental poisoning, you should give us a visit and have yourself assessed and treated as soon as you can. The same should also apply if one has stopped breathing due to accidental poisoning. In such a scenario, one should call 911 or our emergency number, details of which are over at frontlineer.com, so that the affected person can be transported over to our facilities for immediate treatment.

Another set of symptoms that we treat as far as accidental poisonings are concerned include changes in one’s mental status, or behavioral change as it were. Here, the red flags to look out for include one being extremely agitated, restless, confused, disoriented or exhibiting behavior that shows an altered mental state. This should be taken seriously and if one presents with any of these symptoms, they should give us a visit and have themselves treated as soon as they can. Another condition that we treat as far as accidental poisoning goes is severe food poisoning. Cases of food poisoning are actually quite common and while not all cases are medical emergencies, cases of severe food poisoning definitely are as they may lead to severe dehydration and organ damage and are potentially life-threatening. If you begin to present with symptoms that indicate severe food poisoning such as severe vomiting and diarrhea, abdominal pain, high fever among others, you should give us a visit to be treated as soon as possible.

There are lots of other symptoms and conditions that we do treat as far as accidental poisonings go and you can learn more on the same by visiting frontlineer.com.

Uncategorized