10 Reasons to Use an Emergency Room for Pneumonia
Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs that causes the alveoli to get inflamed and fill up with fluid and pus and in severe cases ca be quite serious and even potentially life-threatening. The infection can either be due to a bacteria or a virus and just like any other condition, it can be mild with mild symptoms to severe with severe symptoms. Factors such as one’s overall health, age among others will govern just how serious and severe your pneumonia will be. This means that depending on the severity, you should ensure you choose the right treatment facility to go to for treatment. An emergency room is usually where you should look to go if you have pneumonia, especially if it is severe. There are a number of reasons that justify why you should use an emergency room for pneumonia and this article will look to highlight 10 of these reasons.
- One of the main reasons to use an emergency room for pneumonia is due to the fact that there are facilities to admit there if the situation demands it. There are instances where one may be suffering from a very severe pneumonia attack and the physician may deem it necessary to keep you, say overnight, to monitor you and make sure your situation improves before you are released. This is not a facility that is available in an urgent care clinic.
- Another reason to use an emergency room for pneumonia is due to the fact that here you will find all the necessary facilities and equipment when it comes to diagnosis. For example, in the excellent frontlineer.com, there is a state-of-the-art lab that facilitates diagnostic tests such sputum tests and blood cultures that should ensure that your pneumonia is accurately diagnosed. Accurate diagnosis ensures that one receives the most effective treatment.
- Yet another reason to make use of an emergency room for pneumonia is because emergency rooms have the facilities and expertise to provide oxygen therapy which is usually required for most cases of pneumonia. This is because pneumonia comes with breathing difficulties and as such one may need to receive oxygen. In an emergency room, there is both the expertise and facilities to provide patients with this oxygen therapy.
- If you have bacterial pneumonia, then going to an emergency room is a good choice as there you can get access to antibiotic therapy to treat your pneumonia. As is covered in detail over at the excellent frontlineer.com, in an emergency room there are facilities to give out antibiotics in whatever way is required including through IV fluids. You should keep in mind that antibiotics only work for bacterial pneumonia.
- Another reason to use an emergency room for pneumonia is due to the fact that there is both the expertise and facilities to administer any pain medication you may require for your condition. Your physician may also prescribe fever reducers if necessary, especially if you have severe pneumonia and are experiencing severe fever as a result. The staff will also monitor your situation to ensure that your fever is kept in check and doesn’t escalate any further.
- Other than oxygen care, emergency rooms also provide additional supportive care in the form of bronchodilators making this yet another reason to use an emergency room for pneumonia. Bronchodilators will help you when it comes to breathing and as is discussed in detail over at the excellent frontlineer.com, they will help deal with symptoms such as wheezing among other breathing issues that come with pneumonia.
- The physicians and staff over at emergency rooms are also skilled and have the facilities to administer fluids if needed. Fluids may be required to help ease congestion which usually becomes an issue when pneumonia is concerned. pneumonia may also cause dehydration and thus fluids help to deal with any cases of dehydration.
- Yet another reason to use an emergency for pneumonia is due to the fact that in there you will find all the imaging facilities required to both diagnose and check progress of your pneumonia, especially digital x-rays, all of which are found over at the excellent frontlineer.com. X-rays will be enable the physicians to tell if your condition is improving which is needed especially if you have been admitted. This will help in tell the staff if it is safe to let you go home.
- Another reason that to use an emergency room for pneumonia is due to the fact that there are usually facilities for isolation when needed. This may come in handy in cases of communicable pneumonia infections. The staff in emergency rooms are also well trained to prevent communicable cases from spreading especially when it comes to contact precautions.
- Emergency rooms also have specialists that will help in dealing with whatever case of pneumonia there is out there. These respiratory physicians have the capabilities to deal with any case of pneumonia, including the very severe cases.
The above are 10 reasons why you should look to use an emergency room for pneumonia, with the excellent frontlineer.com being one of the best ones out there to visit.