Visit an Emergency Room Instead of Urgent Care Clinic : Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Visit an Emergency Room Instead of Urgent Care Clinic : Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas. While it’s a byproduct of combustion and an essential part of how our body produces energy, carbon monoxide can also kill if you inhale too much—which is exactly what happens when you turn on a faulty heater or light in your home. Exposure to high levels of CO can make you sick—from dizziness and confusion to nausea and vomiting—but prolonged exposure can lead to serious health complications and even death.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas that results from incomplete combustion of natural gas, propane and other fossil fuels. The fumes may seep into your home through heating and cooking appliances or from improperly vented dryers, wood stoves and fireplaces. Though symptoms may be mild (headache), they can worsen quickly and lead to death if left untreated. If you suspect you or someone else has carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911 immediately!

While most commonly thought of as a gas found in coal, carbon monoxide poisoning can also be caused by faulty equipment. When inhaled, carbon monoxide binds with red blood cells and prevents them from delivering oxygen to all parts of your body. Symptoms of CO poisoning include fatigue, dizziness, shortness of breath and nausea. In cases severe enough, you may lose consciousness or even suffer brain damage. If you suspect CO poisoning has occurred, immediately get outside for fresh air and call 911 for help.

Share:

More Posts

Heart Attack Symptoms

Español Not all heart attacks begin with the sudden and crushing chest pain that comes when the blood flow to heart gets blocked. Heart attack

Sun Safety

Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the U.S. Too much sun can cause skin cancer. Spending time outside is a great way to

Leave Fireworks to the Experts

Summer is synonymous with barbecues, parades and fireworks. The National Safety Council advises everyone to enjoy fireworks at public displays conducted by professionals, and not