10 Detox Side Effects: The Hidden Dangers of Detox Products
There is no denying that detoxing is all the rave now and it is something that has been brought into the mainstream particularly by celebrities. Most people who are on these products probably were on social media and saw their favorite celebrity taking these detox products and decide to get on this particular wave; others may have taken it up from blogs and vlogs while there are those who may have taken to the use of these products from a recommendation from a friend or family member. Regardless of how one got into using these products, there can be no denying that the promise to not only rid one’s body of harmful toxins but also to aid in one’s weight-loss mission is what has attracted most people to these products, with detox teas being particularly popular in the last couple of years. But, are these detox products really safe to use? Well, the simple answer is that these detox products actually have a number of hidden dangers lurking in the shadows as far as our health is concerned and this article will look to highlight 10 detox side effects as far as these products are concerned.
- One of the side effects of detox products is that it could lead to an unhealthy weight loss as when you are on these detox products, you are actually losing muscle mass rather that fat weight which could have a negative impact on your metabolism as well as making you weaker. On top this, another hidden danger as far as detox products are concerned is that they could lead you to gain weight as soon as come off them and stop using them.
- Another hidden danger as far as these detox products are concerned and definitely a side effect is they could lead to diarrhea. As is covered in detail over at the excellent frontlineer.com, most of these detox products contain laxatives, usually a herbal laxative supplement known as Senna, which can lead to severe diarrhea. This is not ideal, and could become serious if the diarrhea persists due to prolonged use of the detox product as it could lead to one suffering dehydration, as we will see later on.
- Other than diarrhea other side effect you could suffer from the use of these detox products include other gastrointestinal issues such as cramps, abdominal discomfort, nausea, bloating and gas among others. These gastrointestinal issues are not what you may have signed up for when you went on your detox and they are among the side effects that one is likely to suffer and definitely worth keeping an eye peeled out for.
- As per the subject matter experts over at frontlineer.com, another hidden danger as far as these detox products go is that it could lead to an electrolyte imbalance. This will be brought about by the loss of water in the body due to the diarrhea, and which will cause an imbalance of electrolytes in the body. Electrolytes play an important role in our bodies, especially in the functioning of your muscles. This can lead to side effects such as muscle spasms as well as an abnormal heart rhythm which can be very serious.
- Another side effect of using these detox product is that they could lead to sleep disruptions. These because most detox products actually contain caffeine, which is usually in medium to high levels, which in some cases can be way over the limit of the recommended 400 milligrams of caffeine per day, or say four to five cups of coffee. Taking these detox products may therefore lead to problems regarding sleep such as an inability to fall asleep as well as an inability to stay asleep.
- Drug interactions is yet another side effect as far as detox goes and is yet another hidden danger as far as detox products are concerned. If you are taking some prescription or over-the-counter meds, then detox products may contain certain herbs or substances that may interact with these medications, as is explained by the subject matter experts over at the excellent frontlineer.com.
- As mentioned above, another side effect as far as these detox products go is that it may lead to dehydration. This may not only result from the aforementioned diarrhea but also due to the fact most of them lead to one losing water rather than toxins from the body; that is, you end up actually flashing water rather than toxins from your body. Severe dehydration is therefore a real issue when it comes to these detox products.
- As per the gurus over at frontlineer.com, another side effect as far as detox is concerned is that it could lead to eating disorders. This is because, the use of these products usually lead to one normalizing the use of laxatives due to the laxatives in the detox products and you find that you need laxatives to even have bowel movements.
- As mentioned above, these detox products can lead to diarrhea which has an additional effect of leading to drugs passing out of your system without being fully absorbed, making them less effective. Therefore, if you are on hormonal birth control pills, it could be a problem as the pill may be passing right through you and you could end up getting pregnant despite the fact that you may be on the pill, which is a big hidden danger as far as you are concerned.
- Yet another side effect as far as detox goes is that it could prevent your body from absorbing crucial nutrients. This is made possible by the fact that the detox products will lead to you going to the toilet too quickly after eating due to their laxative effect, which means that your gut won’t have enough time to absorb food and you will end up losing vital minerals and vitamins.
The above are some of the side effects and hidden dangers as far as detox and detox products are concerned, with more on this and other related topics to be found over at frontlineer.com